Awtomic's Build-A-Box bundles are a great feature to use in your stores. They can be sold as one-time purchases or as subscriptions and offer a number of benefits.
- Allow you to sell more, which may simplify complex operations or offset expensive shipping costs
- Give customers the ability to personalize their orders, which increases retention
- Give subscribing customers the ability to personalize their order between every shipment, which drives brand engagement
A few things you should know before you get started:
- Classic Build-A-Box bundles have fixed total box prices and defined multiple box sizes. Dynamic Build-a-Boxes have dynamic pricing and sizes that are based on the individual prices and the number of items the customer add when creating their boxes.
- When creating your Build-a-Boxes you can include an Extras step, which will allow customers to add additional items to their box purchase at an additional cost.
- All products offered in a Dynamic build-a-box bundle must be added to the SAME subscription plan as your Dynamic box.
- If you add your Classic or Dynamic Build-a-box to a subscription plan any discount and subscription plan settings of that plan will apply to subscription purchases of those boxes.
- When you create a Build-a-Box bundle in the Awtomic app it will automatically create a new Shopify product that can be found in your Shopify products list. You can add your own images, descriptions, etc to that Shopify Product in your Shopify Admin. Your customers will purchase from that product page and orders will be placed with that product and the details of what the customer chose in order item properties.
- In order to view the items selected as individual items in the orders. Please go to Awtomic Settings and Select the setting to have the line items show up individually.
- Please note: Build-a-Boxes can only be available to be sold on your online store sales channel on Shopify. You can not sell them on any other platform as the line items will not be able to be created elsewhere.
How to create a Build-a-Box Bundle:
To get started, go to Tools>Bundles in the Awtomic app, and click CREATE to create a new Bundle. Select the type "Build-A-Box" and give it a name. This name will be the name of the Shopify product that Awtomic creates and will be visible to customers. You can always change this Bundle Name later.
Then, you'll be given options on the kind of Build-a-Box you would like to create:
Learn more about the different Build-a-Box options here: Dynamic vs Classic Build-a-box
Then, you'll define which products will be sold as part of your build-a-box. You can add products individually or by adding an existing Shopify Collection.
To add products to the Build-a-Box individually. Select products at the top and select the products you would like to be available for selection in the box. Adding products individually also gives you some more options on how your box will be organized.
To add products by Shopify Collection:
Select collection at the top and add the existing Shopify Collection you would like to use. If you don't have a collection already, you should create one in Shopify with the specific products that you want to be available as box selections for your customers to choose from. Please make sure the Shopify collection is available on the online store sales channel. Here is some information from Shopify on How to Create a Shopify Collection.
Next, you'll define what box sizes you'll offer and how much you'll charge for them. You can offer up to 100 box sizes, or as few as 1. You'll define the price as a price per item, which will be multiplied by the. number of items to set the price of the box for each size.
We recommend that you include the number of items and the price per item in the copy of the Display label for each box size. The overall price of the box will be displayed on the page as the user changes their selection.
You can add more box sizes by pressing 'Add another size' or remove them by pressing the trash icon to the right of "Display label." You can also drag and drop them using the grip icon on the left to change the order in which they are displayed. When the Shopify product page is created for this bundle, these options will be set up as the variants.
Add-ons is an optional step where you can choose products to essentially "upsell" users on as a last step in their box creation. These products will be added at an additional cost to the user above the cost of the box. You'll need to add a collection, so make sure any add-ons that make sense for your box are in a collection together that is available on the online store.
Once you've defined your box name, box sizes and prices, and products, you'll be able to press 'Create' to Finalize your Bundle. This is not the last step, but it will create the Shopify Product that will represent your Build-A-Box product.
Now that your product has been created, you can make sure it is set up correctly for subscriptions. Expand the "Link Subscription Plan" section and click "See subscription plans"
You'll now be on the subscription plan section, where you should either edit an existing plan, or create a new one. Make sure that you:
- Add the newly created Build-A-Box product to the plan
- Add all products individually that are offered in the Build-A-Box bundle to the same plan
- Add all products individually that are offered as add-ons for the Build-A-Box bundle to the same plan
NOTE: If the products are not all added to the same plan you will see some errors in the customer flow.
Now all you need to do is edit the Shopify Product page and set it to active! You can link directly to this page any time from the Bundle page, by clicking the button under "Modify Bundle Product Page"
Since the product is the same as any other Shopify product you can add images, change the description and apply any template you'd like. Just be sure to only edit the name of the product and details about the variants in the Bundle edit page so that you keep them in sync.
Here's an example of how your customer experience should look:
NOTE: Bundle will automatically detect your "Add to Cart" button and change it to "Customize my Box"
This page and the add-ons page come from our app, but can be styled with CSS. Inspect the code for class names and override styles in a file in your theme.
Do all of these steps and still having issues? Check out our "Troubleshooting Build-A-Boxes article"
Updated 2 months ago